Wednesday, April 8, 2015

contrast

 
  
This is a project that I did for Lifebook 2015...It was a bit of a stretch for me since I don't usually "work" like this...but I really enjoyed exercising different art muscles...
 
On 9"x12" Strathmore Bristol paper, I collaged tissue, book pages, washi tape...then I added a bit of stamping, acrylic paint and then gesso to tone things down and unify the page.  Next came these fun doodly imaginary plants (per Tam Laporte's instructions)...this was the big stretch for me since, while I love to doodle, it is a little intimidating to me to have MY "drawing" actually be the focal point of the page...yikes!...Next, I used NeocolorII watercolor crayons to add color.  This was super fun since I only occasional "play" with watercolor crayons...BUT, note to self:- keep them out and use them more...this was so much fun!...
 
The point of this exercise was to explore value contrast...so I created a few very dark (thickly colored) spots and then contrasting lighter spaces...this was a very interesting, very meditative, very thought provoking art time...I thought about contrast and diversity...and how without the dark and light...the differences...that art...and life...would be a bit monochromatic...definitely less interesting.
I really, really liked the light and darker color blocks I had created, so it was a "stretch" again to add penwork (I almost didn't do this)...white acrylic paint pen to the darker areas, and black to the lighter areas...
 
Here are some close-ups of different spots on the page...
 


 
Oh, and of course, I added WONDER (my WotY)...printed on vellum and stapled to the page.
 
There you have it...the value of contrast.  :)
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You are so good at using your art to illustrate spiritual truths. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry,

    Your work is stunning. Was this the project that was published in Art Journaling? I enjoyed myself immensely on Saturday and would like to get back on your mailing list for classes and gatherings.

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Jennifer Myers
    j.a.myers@att.net
    ja.myers95825@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry,

    Your work is stunning. Was this the project that was published in Art Journaling? I enjoyed myself immensely on Saturday and would like to get back on your mailing list for classes and gatherings.

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Jennifer Myers
    j.a.myers@att.net
    ja.myers95825@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete